|Best viewed in 1024 X 768 resolution|
|| Location in State | Block-demarcated District Map | District Profile | Administrative Blocks | Govt. Departments | Govt. Telephones | Latest News | More Links Below ||
|Royal History of Cooch Behar|
of 'Koch' dynasty
Maharaja Nripendra Narayan
(in front of District Court,
Sagar Dighi Campus)
The early history of Cooch Behar has to be sought in the history of Assam.
In early times the territory was known as Pragjyotisha, which is mentioned in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.
It appears that the western part of the original territory of Pragjyotisha came to be known as
Kamarupa in later times.
Kamarupa remained under the suzerainty of the Guptas and Palas for some time. According to tradition Kamarupa was conquered
by Muslim Army in A.D.1498, but they could not keep the kingdom for long. After the expulsion of the Muslim army the Kamta kingdom
was engulfed in anarchy. During that period, rise of Koch king started.
reveals that the ancient territory of Kamrup played a role in the
development of the present region of Cooch Behar district in West Bengal. The
Allahabad Pillar Inscription of the famous Gupta Emperor Samudragupta mentions
about the existence of the Kamrup territory in the 4th century AD.
During the 15th century AD, the western part of Kamrup came under the sway of the ‘Khen’ dynasty to usher a new kingdom
there known as ‘Kamta’. The present Cooch Behar owes its origin
from this ‘Kamta’ land. The ‘Khen’ dynasty is noted for the kings of Niladhvaja, the founder of the dynasty, his son Chakradhvaja and
grandson Nilambar (1473-98/99 AD). It is stated by some that the ‘Koch’
dynasty followed the lineage of Nilambar. But the most widely accepted view
holds that king Maharaja Viswa Singha was responsible for establishment of an
independent ‘Koch’ kingdom in 1510 AD or 1530 AD.
click for more on Cooch Behar Royal History
Click to know about Royal family-tree of 'Koch' Kings
The Cooch Behar Palace which is noted for its elegance and grandeur is also protected by the Archaeological Survey of India. This magnificent Palace was constructed by the ‘Koch’ king Maharaja Nripendra Narayan in 1887 AD. Built in bricks in the classical Western style this double-storied structure is rests on a 4 feet 9 inches above the ground and covers an area of 51309 square feet. It is 395 feet in length and 296 feet in breadth. The Palace is fronted by a series of arcaded verandahs in the ground and first floors with their piers arranged in an alternate use of single and double rows. The Palace is slightly projected at the south and northern ends and in the centre there is a projected porch to provide an entrance to the Durbar Hall. The elegantly shaped metal dome of the Durbar Hall is topped by a cylindrical louvre type ventilator (being 124 feet high from the ground level) recalling the style of the Italian Renaissance. The intrados of the dome is carved in the stepped patterns while the Corinthian columns that support the base of the cupola found a new dimension in variegated colours and designs to an entire surface. The palace comprises various halls and rooms that include the Dressing Room, Bed Room, Drawing Room, Dining Hall, Billiard hall, Library, Toshakhana, Ladies Gallery and Vestibules. Unfortunately, all the articles and the precious objects as contained by these rooms and halls are now lost and curbed slightly the crowning glory and superb manifestation of the Palace.
Cooch Behar Palace Preview
|~ Royal family-tree of the "Koch" kings ~|
~ Continuation of the Royal family-tree after Kharga Narayan ~
|Source :- "Kochbiharer Itihas", 2nd edition (1988), by Shri. Hemanta Kumar Roy Barma, M.A.,B.L. (ex-Nayeb Ahilkar of erstwhile Cooch Behar Princely State) [pages 211 to 215]|
Links :~ | District
Profile | Agriculture
| Brief History